Wednesday 31 October 2007

I'll have another Butter Naan, and a Diet Coke

Few months back i had gone to an Indian Restaurant in Paphos for a friend's farewell. The food was good, a refreshing change from the regular restaurant we go to in Limassol.

One of my dear friends, a bit on the "healthier" side, made an interesting order. We were having 3-4 types of chicken, to which he added, a butter naan and a Diet Coke. The ambiguity did not go unnoticed and immediately we all started pulling his leg. Both his leg and temper being quite strong, the matter was laid to rest there shortly.

Every time i make a new resolve, to go jogging every morning, to join a Gym or in general to get in better shape, it invariably dies down after a couple of days. An old jeans which does not fit or a day at the beach comparing my 1-Pack to other 6-Packs again remind me of my resolve, but that too doesn't last long. Now i am not unfit by any means. I can run 5 Km, play 3 sets of Tennis or 5 sets of Squash easily. But lets just say I am beginning to understand what a "beer belly" means.

Which brings me to the conclusion that I am no different than my dear friend. Fitness, or health, is easier planned, than executed. This kind of hypocrisies somehow seem more accentuated, in otherwise forthright ppl only in matters concerning health. One curbs day and night about things by saying - "it was not in my hand" or "that wasn't under my control". But surely, SELF CONTROL is by far much more important and rather difficult.

This brings me to a couple of interesting thoughts. One could just order chapatis, some vegetables, salad etc at the restaurant (some healthy food) but that would defeat the whole purpose of going to the restaurant, wouldn't it? You could have got that sitting at home instead. At a restaurant, i wanna have butter chicken, naan and a beer right?

As for the quest for health, even though unsuccessful, one just can't give up and stop trying right? I mean ppl take annual memberships at the Gym only to go once a month. But its at least better than not caring at all. The prospect that you may some day get serious is quite cheerful.

So I say "cheers!!!" with a beer mug to my friend with his Diet Coke

2 comments:

Harish Nambiar said...

You said it…
Getting up early to hit the gym for acquiring those wash board abs can never be as lucrative as lying on the couch & relishing on french fries accompanied by a mug of beer. But there is one trick that can get u going… meet fat unhealthy people as often as possible…take snaps with them…and put them as ur desktop wallpaper with caption ‘Gym or him’ ;)Its quite motivational u see...

SmeaGollum said...

Easy for u to say... u dont have an ounce of fat on u...