Monday 2 June 2008

The Bad

I watched "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" AGAIN last evening. Undoubtedly the best Spaghetti Western, I am sure enough lines have been written praising the movie. In fact if you just type "the goo" in the search section in a Google toolbar, Google brings up the rest for you. Now that is the true measure of fame and success if you ask me.

Anyways, each time I have seen the movie, a completely different facet amazes me. At first it was the brilliant sound track and the catchy plot. Having loved the movie, I went on to see the prequels by Sergio Leone - "A Fistful of Dollars" and "For a Few Dollars More". Now these are good movies, and the character of Blondie slowly grows on you. So when I saw "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" for the second time, it was Clint Eastwood who stole the show for me. I was also intrigued by the depiction of American Civil War, and read a little bit more about it. So in my third attempt, I was left fascinated by direction of Sergio Leone. The director did not speak English and had never seen the American Old West - curtsy Wikipedia - so I find it phenomenal that he wrote and directed the film.

Yesterday, I found myself gaping at Eli Wallach's portrayal of "Tuco", the bruto. I don't remember when I last admired the comic timing of any film character as much as Tuco. It's not just the witty dialogs, its the impeccable manner of dialog delivery which makes Eli stand out. The "Bad" is undoubtedly the best part of the movie, i.e. until i see it once more, and discover something altogether disparate to admire.

No comments: