Saturday 2 February 2008

Blood Diamond

The last really amazing movie I saw in a theater was Blood Diamond. It was gripping right from the word go. A somewhat "real life" plot and stellar performances from the cast make it truly memorable. Both Leonardo DiCaprio and Dijmon Hounsou were nominated for Academy Awards in their respective Lead and Supporting Actor categories. Too bad they did not win. Jennifer Connelly is as gorgeous as ever and has an amazing role. The movie is extremely touching. A scene in the end when Solomon Vandy is in London and is looking at a diamond necklace in shop window, each diamond in the necklace metaphorically meaning a person killed in Africa, is very moving.

Thinking about the movie now coz i watched it again on my laptop. The song at the end of the movie has some interesting lyrics:
Everybody wants heaven, but nobody wants dead,
Everybody wants diamonds, without the bloodshed.

I wish more such movies are made.

1 comment:

Prabhakar Prakash Ranjan said...

I had to look into IMDB about the movie, as I had really no idea about it. Seems it is good, but there is so much backlog already that I don't know where it will be slotted. Moreover, I dunno like Leonardo Di Caprio that much.
But Jennifer Connelly might pull me to it. I haven't any movie of hers, but she keeps coming quite often to me from my rare clip collections. he he he